Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Oscar Reactions

Well, I did about as well with my predictions as I thought I would - 15/24.

About 5 or 6 of them I really should have known better but I lost objectivity and picked what I wanted to happen instead of what I thought actually would. Waltz, Lawrence, Lee, Terrio - I should have just stuck with them instead of hoping for Lincoln love or Riva to upset. Oh well.

But that's it, that's the year - a few great wins, a few disappointing ones. The only win that I'm really truly upset about because I think it's just flat-out wrong is Argo winning Adapted Screenplay, but whatever. I'll get over it. It will forever bug me that Les Mis has more Oscars than Lincoln, but whatever. I'll get over it.

I'm glad ZDT got something technical, and that Skyfall got more than just Song.

People will continue talking about Roger Deakins now being 0/10 and Thomas Newman being 0/11.

A few people will talk about Alexandre Desplat being 0/4.

Almost no one will mention sound mixing guru Greg P. Russell now being 0/16.

And almost no one even cares that Kathleen Kennedy - Spielberg's producing partner - has now lost all 8 of her nominations for Best Picture. Because apparently this year everyone was all in such a big hurry to give Ben Affleck and George Clooney their second Oscars, and not wanting to give Spielberg another one, that Kennedy goes yet again unrewarded, which is a crime.

So in case anyone is keeping track -

People with Oscars: Jennifer Lawrence, Jennifer Hudson, Anne Hathaway, Jamie Foxx, Jean Dujardin, Roberto Benigni, Nicholas Cage, Sandra Bullock, Gwyneth Paltrow, Reese Witherspoon, Cher, Cuba Gooding Jr., Mira Sorvino, Anna Paquin, Geena Davis, and Goldie Hawn.

People without Oscars: Glenn Close, Richard Burton, Deborah Kerr, Annette Bening, Julianne Moore, Peter O'Toole, Ralph Fiennes, Harvey Keitel, Sigourney Weaver, Liam Neeson, Laura Linney, Amy Adams, Judy Garland, Lauren Bacall, Liv Ullman, Viola Davis, Robert Altman, Alfred Hitchcock, Emmanuel Lubezki, Roger Deakins, Greg P. Russell, Kevin O'Connell, Joan Allen, Albert Finney, Thelma Ritter, Thomas Newman.

Well, there it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment